Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Military Future

Being from the United States, I will never have to join the military. The United States do not have a compulsory military service, but in times of need, they may have a draft. The last time there was a draft was in the Vietnam war, but women could not be drafted. Men between the ages of 18 through 25 could be sent to war without a choice. There are several reasons I will most likely never want to join the military either. First of all, I do not support violence. I believe we can solve conflicts with other nations without having to physically attack each other. Even though I would want to support my country, wars are not necessary. The United States spent a whopping $12 billion a month on the Iraq war in 2008. This money is could have proven very useful to the United States during our economic crisis. There are many ways this money could have been spent to help our country, but we decided to spend it on unnecessary violence. were also 4,222 Americans killed in Iraq. In my opinion, these are unnecessary deaths. Secondly, I would not want join the military because most wars are for an unjust cause. Mr. Coyle taught us that conflicts are usually about economics or politics. Fighting about economics is useless. All people want in the end is money which they get by more land, power, or resources. Gold, God, and Glory are ridiculous reasons to go to war. Political reasons may be more justified in conflicting about, but there are many ways conflicts can be solved without violence. Lastly, I believe there are many ways to serve your country other than joining a military. You could work in the government, volunteer in an environmental organisation, help out in a hospital etc. There are plenty of ways to be active citizen of your country. I will find a way to serve my country, without harming others, which is why I will not join the army if I do not have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home